Numerous additions to the History Page have been recently added:
- Histories of communities: Alleghany, Big Muddy (a.k.a. White Row), Burns Settlement, Carterville District Mine, Cedar Grove, Cowthon, Downey, Droit City, Grays, Halfway II, Jeffrey Mine, Malcomville, Moake Crossing, Nixville, Number Seven Row, Paineville, Pinch Off, Prosperity, Rogerville, Vicksburg, and Other Communities.
- Plat Maps (1908) added to histories: Alleghany, Blairsville, Canaville, Corinth PO, Crab Orchard, Fordville, Hudgens, Malcomville, New Denison, New Virginia, Jeffersonville, Pittsburg, Pope’s Highland, Reeves, Spillertown, Stonefort and Whiteash. Oraville and Stern’s Outlots were added to Other Communities.
- Railroad Maps: Maps from 1876 and 1908 covering the state and Southern Illinois.
- 1822 Illinois State Map
- 1876 Williamson County Map showing the names of all the old precincts
A new page had been added to the History Page on this site that includes a 1908 Williamson County map and maps of each of the twelve county townships. These maps can be invaluable when trying to determine the location of old lost sites or property ownership locations.
New postings related to our counties first settlers and early mills have been added to the History Page. They were extracted from Goodspeed’s History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin and Williamson Counties, Illinois published in 1887. Continue reading