New Virginia, a village in section 25 of Herrin Township, was built to house the miners of the New Virginia Coal Company. Hoisting was begun in December 1901; the village was surveyed January 11, 1902. The
The New Virginia Coal Company was incorporated in 1900. Silas Moore was president; Edwin G. Rorback, secretary-treasurer. John W. Mitchell was superintendent of the mine.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939, on sale at the Williamson County Museum)