William’s Prairie Church stand on section 11 of Lake Creek Township on the southwest side of the prairie. It was organized in 1861, and was admitted to the Franklin Association of United Baptists that year with twenty eight members. It stands on land given by William D. Stilley.
Another William had a prominent part in building the church. William Wesley Dorris left his home near Jackson, Tennessee because of the Civil War disturbances. He came to live in William’s prairie while the church was being built. The log structure was raised, and the finer points of building begun. But there were no nails, and no one had money to buy them. Mr. Dorris had brought two guns from Tennessee, prized possessions that he had cherished since his young manhood. But the church seemed more important, and he traded the guns for nails at Frankfort. Mr. Dorris was ordained to preach by this church and is buried in the churchyard.
William’s Prairie Church was host to the thirty fifth annual meeting of the Franklin Association of the United Baptists September 10, 1875. Bainbridge Church was received into the association at that meeting.
W.E. Pickard ad H.C. Bickers were early pastors of William’s Prairie Church.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939 which is on sale at the Williamson County Museum)