Union Grove Church stands in section 35 of Lake Creek Township beside the school of the same name, district 17. It is less than a mile southwest to the site to old Squat Church, the first in the county. The Methodist church was organized about 1859 by Horton Knight Hendrickson (1815-1862), son of the preacher at Squat church. “Hort” Hendrickson married Lizzie Caplinger, and their home was one of those in the family settlement along Worthen trail.
The second Grand Army of the Republic post in the county was organized at Union Grove church during September, 1866. The post at Crab Orchard was also first established that month. The G. A. R. was but a few months old, and was severely frowned upon as a political organization that would seek to aggrandize the ex-soldiers.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939 which is on sale at the Williamson County Museum)