Sneed’s Prairie Hill History

Prairie Hill store was located about a mile east of the present village of Pittsburg, near Squat Church. Squat Church is now Union Grove United Methodist Church. The store was located on Prairie Hill, one of the nine prairies in Williamson County.

Prairie Hill Post Office was established in the store December 9, 1854 and was discontinued July 29, 1869.

(Ghost Towns of Southern Illinois, by Glenn J. Sneed, published 1977)