Shelton School stands in section 2 of Stonefort Township, on a farm that once belonged to T. F. (“Fuel”) Shelton.
Monroe N. Swan began his teaching at Shelton School’s 1886 term. Later he attended Crab Orchard Academy, and in 1898 his years of successful teaching were recognized by his election as county superintendent of schools. One of the improvements he accomplished during his term was to renumber the school districts consecutively. He gave Shelton district number 73, rather than the number one it was to him.
One of the “barefoot boys” who once attended Shelton School is now distinguished as a school man in the east. He is Dr. Otto Harris, head of the geography department of New York City University.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939 which is on sale at the Williamson County Museum)