Palzo was the name created for the post office opened April 9, 1894 in section 15 of Stonefort Township. The community’s petition for mail service closer home was granted, but each of the names suggested was rejected at Washington. A popular and slangy greeting in the eighteen eighties was “Hi, old palzo!” and an overgrown boy in the neighborhood was known by that name.
Martin Odum, the Missionary Baptist preacher and Civil war veteran, was fond of a joke and suggested that Palzo should have the post office for his namesake. The new name was sent in, and Washington accepted it.
Albert Mikel was the first postmaster, in the little store that was a neighborhood meeting place. Crad Deaton succeeded him June 29, 1897.
Then Rev. Mr. Odum was appointed on July 21, 1899. He had come to farm in section 16 nearby when he was discharged from the Union army. His old home was in Odumburg school district.
James W. S. Allen who sold threshing machines as well as general merchandise, was the next postmaster by appointment January 20, 1900. Edward S. Odum was his successor, on February 24, 1903, but performed the duties only a few months when Parker Holmes received the appointment, the following October 21. Postmaster Holmes handled the mail until service was discontinued March 26, 1908.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939, on sale at the Williamson County Museum)