North Bend is the land included within a loop of Big Muddy River that extends into Franklin County and lies north of Hurricane Creek. It is considerable area of Blairsville Township but the name was localized to the store and district school in the southeast corner of section 9.
Simeon Bishop owned the store, and in 1899 he secured a post office for his neighbors’ convenience. Service was begun July 21, but postmaster Bishop soon tired of his bargain. The bookkeeping was onerous, and he was paid only the value of his stamp cancellation. His fourth class office brought him about $5 a month. Postmaster James A. Lauder of Carterville helped keep the records and get the reports off to Washington, but Mr. Bishop kept trying to have North Bend post office discontinued. Washington ignored his letters. One day he walked into the Carterville post office with his equipment and supplies, dumped everything on the mailing table, and announced, “There it is.” As far as he was concerned, that was the end of North Bend post office.
But other postmasters were appointed and service continued at North Bend until Clifford was established. Martha Bell was appointed postmistress at North Bend March 18, 1904 and was succeeded by Lawrence C. Goodwin and Miles N. Bell. Each post master served about a year, and the office was closed March 15, 1907.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939, on sale at the Williamson County Museum)