Lauder was a station on the railroad built as a coal feeder through the west part of the county to Johnston City in 1895. The name was given in honor of Hugh Lauder, mayor of Carbondale, who operated an extensive lumber business along the line of the railroad in Williamson County. The Chicago and Carbondale Railroad Company built the line in 1895, but sold it on November 20 to the Chicago and Texas Railroad Company.
It was at Lauder that a railroad coach filled with Negro miners and their families were fired on June 30, 1899 and one Negro woman was killed. The trouble arose from bringing the Negroes from Pana to Dewmaine to work in the Brush mines during a strike.
The Illinois Central operated the railroad on lease after 1897, and has been the owner since 1902. At the suggestion of Evan D. and Thomas John, owners of the Carterville and Big Muddy Coal Company, a name recalling their native Wales was chosen. Lauder became Cambria.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939 which is on sale at the Williamson County Museum)
<p style=”text-align: center;”><a href=”#top”>Back to the top</a></p>