Lance School History

Lance School, district 93, stands in the northwest corner of section 12, Southern township. The deed to the ground was made in 1860 by Calvin Lance who lived nearby. In gratitude for the gift, the school district was given his family name. Another branch of the family operated the store at Day.

James W. McKinney began his school days at Lance district school and continued with studies at the Normal in Carbondale and at Valparaiso University. He returned to the home neighborhood to preach, and founded McKinney chapel.

(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939 which is on sale at the Williamson County Museum)