Hurst-Bush Schools stand in section 7 of Blairsville Township between the two towns they serve. The first board of directors for the grade school, district 27, were T. P. Russell, John Hall, and E. A. Sprague. The brick building was dedicated in January 1917 by an assistant to the superintendent of public instruction. Three frame buildings had been used on the same site earlier.
John Edmonds, Jerry M. Hestand, T.P. and Charles W. Russell were among the community leaders who worked for the success of these schools. T.J. Campbell, attorney and county judge at Chamberlain, South Dakota was once a student. An accredited community high school, district 206, has its separate building across the highway.
Russell school was the first name of the district, organized in 1865. Philip T. Russell opened a farm in section 6 during the last years of the war. He was discharged for disability after serving as sergeant in Company G, 81st Illinois infantry under his father, William Washington Russell of Russell comers.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939 which is on sale at the Williamson County Museum)