Flanery Springs is one of the well-known places of an earlier day that cannot now be located. Milo Erwin recorded “1812 is memorable for the settlement of Flanery, at the Flanery Springs.” Old timers recall hearing that Mr. Flanery had a trading post. Where is an unanswered question.
But there is no doubt he was here, for John Browning found two families of the name when he took the census in the summer of 1818. The heads of the families were Elijah and Abraham Flanery, the former apparently the older for he had a son or other man over twenty-one living with him. Two years later, when the federal census was taken, it was Abraham Flanery’s family that numbered “two white males of 21 and over.” John Browning recorded that both families lived “east of Muddy,” but that leaves a wide range of Williamson County.
The Flanerys ranged far afield, and we know Abraham did some of his trading at James Hall’s store in Brownsville, then Jackson County’s seat. On January 30, 1818 he went all those miles to buy one dipper for 37 ½ cents. He went back May 4 and bought a fur hat for $5, possibly a bargain that Storekeeper Hall did not want to carry over the summer. July 14 he was back again, and celebrated Bastille Day with half a pint of Hall’s Brownsville distilled whiskey. These and other purchases were paid for February 2, 1819 with deerskins worth $13.25.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939, on sale at the Williamson County Museum)