Dwina, a crossroad community in section 11 of Lake Creek Township, took its name from the post office established there July 13, 1895 in Millard W. Williams’ store. “Bud” Williams built his store near William’s Prairie Church and obtained the post office as an added service to his customers. The name seems to have been created in his imagination.
Curtis W. Welborn, one of the brothers who had stores at Attila and New Denison, took over the Dwina store and became postmaster January 25, 1900. On October 1 he was succeeded by James R. Rogers. The next year, on May 14, 1901, the office came back into the hands of the Williams family, with Jackson V. Williams as postmaster. But mail service was discontinued April 30, 1902 when rural routes were instituted.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939, on sale at the Williamson County Museum)