Beasley’s Branch in the northeast corner of Lake Creek Township recalls the name of the pioneers Samuel and Washington Beasley. The small stream joins Pond creek about the center of section 1 of the township.
Samuel Beasley entered part of nearby William’s prairie in 1839.
Washington Beasley was enrolled June 16, 1832 tor ninety days’ service as a soldier in Captain Obediah West’s company of mounted volunteers. When the company was mustered out, Private Beasley was on furlough. His 1836 land entry was made in Crab Orchard Township. Road district divisions of 1839 locate Washington Beasley’s place near Brushy Creek. “Brother Washington Beasley” was an active delegate to the seventh annual (1847) meeting of Franklin Association of United Baptists, and was appointed a member of the missionary committee.
Hezekiah L. Beasley was county surveyor from 1871 to 1875. Part of his work was to plat the new town of Carterville.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939, on sale at the Williamson County Museum)