Armstrong School in section 6 of Southern township was named in gratitude for the gift of land Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Armstrong made. A new district, numbered 100, was formed from parts of Flatts, Ogden, Cooksey, and Crain districts and the Armstrong’s gave one acre of their eighty acre farm for the new schoolhouse. Miss Betty Chamness taught the first term in 1896, and continued to reign four years.
Mrs. Armstrong was a member of the school board and her son Brince Armstrong finished out one term at Armstrong school during the five years, teaching that preceded his study of dentistry. Dr. R. B. Armstrong now practices at Memphis, and his brother Herman L. Armstrong practices medicine nearby.
First of this family in the county was Fisher Armstrong, who came from Missouri in 1862. He was the father of J.W. Armstrong and also of James A. Armstrong, coroner from 1896 to 1900.
(Extracted from Pioneer Folks and Places, Barbara Barr Hubbs, 1939, on sale at the Williamson County Museum)